Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Crank it Up!

So, I decided sometime last year that THIS was the year I was going to do an Olympic distance Triathlon. I am not a great runner. Especially after 28 miles on a bike and a half mile swim. Six miles is not easy to run for me. You'd think after 2 half marathons that it would some how be EASY? I had hoped.

I am still hoping. Especially since I was a friends bonfire on Saturday and someone says "Your doing the Wausau Triathlon?"
I said, "Yes. I am. The Olympic distance".
She says, "Oh, that's hilly."
"Oh?" I said, not really too worried, since everyone's idea of 'hilly' is a bit different.

SO, What did I receive in the mail Monday? My confirmation for the race and a map of the route. Lucky me! I hopped on my computer and figured out the elevation.
*Gulp.*
Ok. Now. I . can. worry.
*Gulp.*
Turns out she had a damn good version of hilly. Hilly may have been a bit under stated. A Hill for me in my flatness of Wisconsin is High Cliff. Which has about 230 feet of elevation change according to Mapmyrun.com. That for me is a hill.... This 'oly' I am now confirmed for on August 1st has OVER 600 FEET of elevation change. In the first half of the ride.
Then after 28 miles I am just so lucky to have to run 6.2 miles.
Lucky. Me.

1 comment:

Sara said...

It's good to challenge yourself and do things that scare you. So, buck up little camper, and plan to find some big hills to train on.

You can do it!