Sunday, June 22, 2008

High Cliff Race Report

Woke up early to race day breakfast of oatmeal. Yuck. I like oatmeal just not when I am forced to eat it when I am not hungry. We had yummy carbs from Grazies for Supper last night and I just was not hungry.
My Sis and I headed out early and let J (my sisters man) and the boys sleep in a bit. Duner was coming home at 6 am from work then they were going to head out.
Got our timing chip and body marked with our #'s (mine was 675) and headed out to the transition area.

The WORST part of triathlon is the this part. Waiting and self doubting...

My swim was more like a water walk. I was so afraid to swim because I couldn't pass the girl in front of me that didn't know if she wanted to swim or walk and I was afraid I was going to suddenly get kicked in the face.
As I was coming out of the water, I heard Tammy- a nurse from work yell my name and put out her had for a high five! Yay! I got a boost from her cheering me on helped carry me up the hill with my son Reece running up with me. At the top (or near the top) was Sharon- a co-worker of mine that was cheering me on ! Woo Hoo! Another great boost! I transtitioned rather long to my bike and as I was gettting on my bike I heard Sharon again!! That was really neat to see and hear both of those girls get out of bed early on a Sunday morning to cheer me on (and it wasn't even 8am!!)

I was doing great getting out on the bike, heading up the first hill, when I down shifted and my chain came off! Geez! I had to stop just after the trees and pop my chain back on.
The rest of my ride was pretty boring except for the HUGE turtle on the side of the rode and my wrong shift move just 2 miles before the finish of the bike. Grrr. I saw my Dad's truck but I did not see my Dad as I was coming in on my bike. My sister later told me where he was.

I felt pretty good heading out on my run, but I forgot to use my inhaler and I was feeling it. I could breath but not as deeply as I wanted to. I was tired. My legs were telling me to stop, but I just wanted to run the entire run for a change. I normally run/walk it 'cause I am so tired, but I just ran it. SLOWLY. I even ran up the hill, while the 2 girls ahead of me walked it. I think I should have walked it to conserve energy. I was dragging.

I was cheered on by Duner and the boys, J and his mom on my way to the finish. I finished before my sister and so I waited and tried to get Reece and Zeb to run the 'finish' with her but Zeb said it was 'too far' to run. (it was only the finish, not the entire run!)
After She finished I realized 2 more girls from work, Jenny and Katie, came to see me finish! Yippee! How sweet was that!

I was so happy that so many people came to cheer me on, but I was so wishing I had done better. Thanks guys! You really ARE appreciated! That really does help, more than you know!!

I wish I had some times for you but I know it was the exact time as last year. No change. Kind of a bummer, I am hoping that my swim was a bit worse and my run was a bit better... I won't know until later or tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I think you did great, and you looked fantastic!

I'm posting my and J's pics to Flickr. You look thin and streamlined.