Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Up North part 1

We just returned from a busy weekend at the cabin. We left Saturday early and brought the dogs, a new canopy for the pontoon boat, and a new garage door. We had a trailer LOADED. We also brought a umbrella for shade, my bike and Zeb's tag a long, just in case. We thought we would have lots of room when we left. Ok, so we were wrong...

We arrived and our nephew was cutting the lawn, Duner started up the othere mower up there and in no time it was done. Mike's dog, Alice was following him around the yard like a sick puppy. I got started pulling off the old canopy and started geting the new on set up, the directions weren't the bes so we ended up putting the front part of the canopy correct but the frame was backwards. After a quick fix we got the canopy where it needs to be but we haven't put the light back on it. It was so humid and sticky. We didn't even have the boat started to know it it was going to run. My newphew put the battery on the charger and we decided to get the garage door done while we were waiting for it. Soon, my brother-in-law, Cory, his wife Shannon, the dog, Chance and their new little boy showed up that AM.
Yes we had 4 dogs, mostly labs.
About 2 pm clouds startting rolling in. It was a welcomed breeze. I suppervised the installation of the door while Duner and Mike worked on it. The kids where playing in the yard and really didn't get board too much. Once I had the canopy up on the boat they had lots of fun pretending to be driving it. Reece even threw the anchor over board at one point. I could hear some horse's whinny, there are some about 3/8 of a mile down the road from us. I began to wonder if we were in for a yucky storm. Pretty soon it began to rain. It was nice! Zeb loved it. We really didn't have any lighting with it, but it came down really well. It didn't phase him in the least. After about 10 minutes, I noticed that some hail was falling, as soon as I said that it stopped. We maybe saw 5 pieces of dime sixe hail. After that the sun, came out again and the place was steaming. By 7 pm we figured we better stop and got supper ready. I was supposed to call Reece's friends mom, Jenny. We got so busy with the door, that I forgot. I also wondered why I hadn't heard it ring yet. I looked for it and found out the battery was Dead and it was sitting in my car. Our phone batteries always go dead up north quickly. We are in a very wooded area.
I managed to get the screan on to tell me I had a voice mail. I was sure it was Jenny so I brought Reece over to her Uncle's place so he could play. They have a place on a lake up there that is maybe 4 miles from our cabin. They have remote control boats that they just Love.
When we got there Jenny showed me her Mom's car. Apparently the hail storm that we got was worse than I thought. Her mom got caught in the hail storm less than 5 miles from our cabin. They were on their way up and had to pull over. They had over 6 major cracks in their winshield and big dents all over. The said they saw cars with no back window. They were very lucky. Most of the cracks were on the passenger side, where Jenny's mom was sitting. She said she grabbed a pillow from the back quick and put it over her head. They had little pieces of glass on the dashboard. I was suprised it wasn't worse.
to be continued...

No comments: