Thursday, June 21, 2007

Down, but not yet out...

For years my husband has enjoyed the sound of my back cracking as he picks me up, when he gives me a hug. After last night, that will not be happening anymore.

I have a costochondal separation. Basically, my cartilage that attaches a rib to my breast bone has separated. It is kind of this nagging pain at the bottom of my rib cage. I felt great this morning when I woke up but as the day went on I got a backache. I was probably trying to compensate out of fear for what pain I will feel if I slouch. (which I so LOVE to do)

What worried me the most is I have a triathlon coming up on Sunday. It was Wednesday last night. My first thought was,
OH NO, breathing is very important for Sunday. It's not easy to breathe!
After a few minutes that went away. Then I started getting pains... I began to panic. I thought
"I won't be able to do the tri on Sunday!"
All of the training I did and I might not be able to do it? NO!!! I panicked. I started to cry when I thought of all the days running, swimming and biking.

Duner was feeling very guilty. He kept saying sorry and tried to hug me but was afraid to get to close. He was just about to leave the house to go to work for the night. I couldn't cheer up at that point. I kept feeling the pain and panicking. I rubbed on my rib cage and felt something shift. Like a floater piece of something. I found out later it was cartilage. I slept ok, but I could feel discomfort on my right side. I was consistently worried, waiting for the pain to get worse.

I talked to the Dr that got me into the triathlon thing in the first place, and he said to rest up until Sunday. Do NO swimming, biking or running. Just 'Try not to piss it off, You don't want to make it worse'. He wants it to have a start at healing instead of re-injuring it be for the Tri. We I have 3 good things.
1. Fat Floats. Maybe I will just be able to lay in the water and let the current of all the other swimmers pull me thru.
2. Lifeguards. They will have lifeguards, if I happen to get kicked or hit in my ribs. I will need assistance on exiting the water.
3. Once out of the water, I will be better. I won't be breaking any records this year I don't think. I can walk, I don't know about running. I can't imagine the bike will be that difficult with this injury, unless breathing deep is a problem by then.

I just can't see not even trying. I have people waiting for me at the finish line. I never thought I would have been able to ride up the hill without stopping, but I have done it now 4 times! It is a journey. It has to have a better ending than this... to be continued.

Just before this injury I was asking him about me being able to squeak out a biking jersey from the Fox Cities Triathlon club that I am in. They are a bit pricey, but I thought, If he doesn't think we can swing it, ok. He didn't say anything about it, good or bad. Ok. I figured we will talk about it later.

So guess who's getting a bike jersey soon.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Don't things like this make you feel old? Everytime someone points to the patch of psoriasis on my leg and I have to say "That's just psoriasis," I feel about 80.