Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Just Runnin'

I managed to guilt myself into waking up at 5:45 and head out on a run. I laid in warm cozy bed thinking how I was awake, B was home to hold down the fort until I came back. Since my window was cracked open, I could tell it was colder than it had been the previous days this week.

The last time I ran was Thursday. I did a 4.4 mile run. It was at sundown, and by the time I had gotten home he was very dark. It was a beautiful time to run. It wasn't 80 degrees and I really enjoyed the lack of sun beating down on me. (No lectures necessary)

I was hoping to run on Saturday or Sunday, but I just couldn't find the time.

So... I needed to do it this am or else I have to wait until the afternoon. That is when Z will be in School.
I got my butt out of bed. I grabbed my ipod and workout pants and long sleeve shirt. I was feeling pretty good and actually awake. I got my gear on, told B. that I was going for a run. He was already on the computer. The kid is nuts he actually wakes up insanely early to sometimes play on the computer or sometimes just watch tv.

Anyway, as I headed outside, I was in awe of the sky. It was still dark and crisp. I love Fall. It is probably my favorite season. I began out on the country roads, I like to go the opposite way of traffic. That way I can see if a car is coming. The only bad part of running that early is the lack of natural light. Not so much cars, but road kill. I knew that there was a dead muskrat, frog and cat along my route, I just had to avoid it. The muskrat was on the side of the road in the gravel. I tried to avoid it but each time a car would come I would go into the gravel, and be blinded due to the headlights of the upcoming cars as I tried to watch for the dead animals. Somehow I managed to skip it, but I don't know how.
Luckily the cat was on the other side of the road. There was also a dead frog but he was already pretty flat, so no chance of falling on that one.
My hands were pretty cold as I finished the first mile, but I was warming up pretty good by my 2.5. As I was coming to the 3 mile mark the sun was begining to come out.
That was the neatest and scariest run I have had in a long time, but things went well I think.

No comments: