Monday, December 15, 2008

Ovary Removed.

Yesterday I enjoyed the 'cleansing kit' that the Dr wanted me prep with.
Ok, Not so much.

My Mom thankfully took the kids overnight, since we were supposed to be getting some icy roads this am and we both didn't want her driving all the way to our house with bad roads if she didn't have to.

I tried to get to bed early, but I kept tossing and turning. I didn't sleep really well at all. I had to be at the Hospital at 6 am. I was afraid I was going to not hear the alarm. We had to stop by the gas station and we were worried about the roads. The temp this am was in the single digits. One bank's sign said 2 degrees. But the roads were great.

I got checked in and prepped for surgery. My anesthesiologist was a fellow Tri Club member, but I wasn't about to say anything to him about who I was. I don't remember ever meeting him personally. I think he talked at one of our meetings, but that was a long time ago.

I was wheeled into a cold Operating Room, switched beds and they wasted NO TIME knocking me out. He said he put some anti-nausea med in my IV, and that was pretty much all I remember till I woke up in Recovery.

I think I was a bit dehydrated, from yesterday, but I was a bit nauseous. Phospho-soda prep is disgusting! Even poor Zeb felt so bad for me he had a hard time eating his lunch.

After recovery, they tried giving me hot cocoa and toast, but I had to switch to water, my throat just didn't want solids yet. I had a hard time trying to swallow the toast and the cocoa was too sweet.

I kept trying to sleep, but my pulse kept dipping below 40, which triggers an alarm on the monitor. The nurse told me to keep wiggling my toes when that happened, but it wasn't helping.

I was so tired, that I couldn't ask the doctor why I have 4 holes instead of one. Three by my hips, evenly spaced and one under my belly button. He did say everything went really well and we will get results from pathology within a week. I am glad he took the ovary.

I spent most of the day with some form of nausea. I woke up about 6pm and was insanely hungry, but that was a mistake. About an hour later more nausea again, finally had to visit the throne. I feel a bit better now.

My mom was a saint and came over with supper for the boys and got everything ready for them when they got home. Zeb walked in the door saying "Oh, What's that smell? It smells good in here!"
Duner was trying to rest for work tonight so she ran and got me my pain medication. Thanks Mom!
Now I have a bit of heart burn, but not nauseous. I am supposed to stop by Zeb's school for a special 'cuddle up to read' activity. I had forgotten I signed up for that before this surgery came up.
I hate to disappoint Zeb, but we will have to see. Walking is a bit slow right now. I feel bad for missing this weeks running (sorry Katie) , but I may be able to join again soon! I still have a half marathon I am going to do.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I'm so happy to hear you are okay and the surgery went well.