Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My lil' Marathoner...

Every Tuesday night I bring Reece to the Y for Fit-n-Fun class. I signed him up without his approval because it is a frigid winter and he was sitting on the computer more than any other kids we have.
We are about 3 weeks into that class and tonight, Brock decided he wanted to tag along with me to the Y.

'Ok. Sure." I said. Kinda surprised. He is generally not active but he wanted to walk/run the track.
I said " If you go, I am running my 2 miles today at the Y. So you will have to watch Zeb on the Track til I am done."
"Ok" he said.

Hmmmm.

I wasn't getting to excited about it I figured it was a one time thing. While I ran my miles, Brock walked and ran with Zeb. Everytime I passed them they tried to keep up with me for a bit, then they would stop. By 20 minutes, I finished I took Zeb and we headed downstairs to watch Reece for the next 25 minutes.
Brock asked to keep walking the track til Reece gets finished. Sure No Problem.

When he finished, Brock came up to me and said " I bet I could get some girls if I can do that track for a long time".

Now he is GETTING IT!! This is MY THING. Of course, I promptly said...

"Why don't you do a half marathon with me? Fox Cities Marathon is in September, why not do it with me?" I said.
"Ok, but I'll walk some." he said. Then he asked about the class they have at the Y to be allowed into the lifestyle center. He is 13 (almost 14) but has to be 15 to be able to be in the Lifestyle center. We walked to the front desk and I showed him the class discription and the dates and times of the class. He was bummed because I can't sign him up til after the Half Marathon in February, but he wants to continue to walk/run the track with me.

YEEESSSS!!! Finally!!

It only took 4 years of Triathlons and Marathon to get one of my kids truly into it on their own terms! Ok, the posibility of girls probably helped too, but still!!

No comments: