Monday, January 12, 2009

Yep, He is all Mine.

Yesterday was a long 7 mile run. We got 'er done, but when I returned home my oldest informed me that he thinks he broke his toe. Now, I have broken both of my pinky toes at various times since I was 18, but never on some stairs.

I swear chairs and tables jump in front of me...
ok.
...so I have rather large stumps.

So, I have some experience with broken toes. I told him they do NOTHING for your toes when you break them. (unless they are displaced, I am sure) I did get a fancy 'shoe' thing but since he has bigger feet then me, and the particular toe involved.... he was out of luck.

It didn't sound that way. When he showed me it was already black at the base of his toenail. I said " Congrats, Your about to lose your toenail". A wave of panic set over him...

When he was really little, being my first born, I wasn't perfect with cutting his finger and toenails without pain... so he tells me anyway. So, he gets really possessive of his nails.

"What? Will that hurt?"
I did my best to explain that but I can't remember losing a nail, but I am pretty sure I had some lost one when I was young. I didn't like to wear shoes in the summer, and I rode my bike a lot.... equals sore toes, and knees.
Anyway, I took a peak at it again today and now it was pretty swollen and even more black and blueish... Yep, I am pretty sure it is broken, but he can manage to get his HUGE shoes on, but gym class is going to be tricky... I may be checking into an gym class excuse for a week or two for him.

Tonight I told him to lay down with some ice and put his foot up. At least he can get some of the swelling down before school tomorrow.


He developed a system for attaching an ice pack to his foot to help get better.

He doesn't rest real well.

But Sunday night he somehow set his alarm clock for 12:35 am and kept hitting snooze til 3am, when he finally turned it off. Then I woke him up at 6am to get on the bus by 6:45am, which he missed...

If it weren't for bad luck he wouldn't have any luck at all...

It can only get better right?

1 comment:

Sara said...

I dropped a table leaf on my toe when I was 16 or so, and I ended up losing my nail on my big toe.

It wasn't painful, it was kind of gross, and kind of weird because it didn't hurt, but I could rock it back and forth.

The only thing I can liken it to is losing a tooth. While your new nail comes in, your old nail will become looser and looser and eventually fall off.

B., don't freak out, you are going to be fine.