Saturday, January 01, 2011

Ice and Rest

Well. Yet again, it is a brand New Year and yet again I have an aching knee. This time it is the opposite knee.

I have set my mind on finishing the Athens FULL marathon April 3.
Yep.
26.2 miles.

According to my training plan, I was set to run 7 miles today.

It was BEAUTIFUL here today... ok, by Wisconsin standards, maybe. 44 degrees. It started out overcast and a slight drizzle but ended up sunny.

Just as I got my shoes on I noticed my left foot seemed to be pushing to the left crushing my little toes. I applied lube, adjusted the pad in my shoe and hoped for the best...

My run felt good. I had planned to play with my heart rate monitor a bit... push it up, then back off a bit... trying to build my lactic acid threshold. Harder to do on an outside run than inside run.

Had the wind pushing against me on the way out. According to the weather we were supposed to have a cold front come through, as I ran it felt like it was coming. After the first 20 minutes I knew I was not going to hit my '10 minute' mile run mark. I was closer to 12 minute. Being my long run, I was ok with it. 7 miles was my longest run since my 10 mile run back in October.

I LOVE MY heart rate monitor/ watch. It tells me how far I have gone, my average heart rate, max heart rate (thanks to my strap), how long it has taken me and a bunch more that I have yet to figure out.

When it said 7 miles. I slowed to a nice walk, then finished to my home. I was bad and didn't get my stretch in since we had to quickly return the rental car. I showered when I got home and sat next to Duner on the couch and crossed my right leg over my left. I only sat for a few minutes... not very long, but when I got up my knee was mad at me.

I managed to get the house picked up and oversaw the holiday decorations get put away.

Now, thanks to my HP mini, I am sitting with it propped up with ice on it. Hoping my knee is good to go for Monday, when I am supposed to run again. At least it is only 3 on Monday, part of 19 due for the week.

And now,I am shopping for new running shoes...

1 comment:

sjssrvvr said...

Hang in there Rachel!! I hope your knee starts feeling better soon. Good luck with that incredible goal of running the marathon! Keep us posted on your training and I'll be cheering for you!!