Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Running outdoor's Must Haves for Rachel

Saturday afternoon, I dug out my camel-bak bag, got some fuel (aka: beans and gu), layered up and headed OUTDOORS to get my 10 miler in.





Oh, boy. Absolutely nothing compares to getting out side and pushing yourself. Plus, there is the 'code'. Ya know, how other runner smile and wave at you, just 'cause you are both running. I love that. You don't know who they are but it's like you have friends all over the place! Hills and all, it was STILL way better than a track or treadmill. Maybe 'cause just the thought of being able to , um, run... some call it jogging- when you are slow like me... but just to move.

Ok, so ....

Here are my outdoor running must haves: (for runs longer than 5 miles)

1. Camel Bak


It is a water bottle in a back pack. I can't have extra width to my hips, so I love my camel bak. Plus nothing to hold in my hands!


I haven't used my camel bak for over a year. It leaks, but it works. I knew I was goin' to get wet at 0.15 mile of my run. the bottom started to leak a bit. Oh well, since it was 60 degrees out, I knew I could manage.

2. My watch


My watch tells me how long, how fast, how far a ton of things I still don't know about yet. I only display how far and current heart rate while I run. The rest is fluff. When I am done, yeah, I look at my time, and my heart rate range, but that is pretty much it. I think it is supposed to tell me how many calories burned but I have no clue yet how that works.



3. My sport glide


I. heart. Brooks. running. shoes. But my left, um, ring toe? Well, it doesn't like my running so much. It likes to cram itself up under my middle toe, causing various blisters. Sometimes they are water blisters sometimes blood blisters. I never know what the luck will be. BUT, with body glide, my toes don't yell at me at all! Love it!


4. Red Running shirt

I don't care what I have under, but I have to dress as close to looking like a stop sign as possible. No explaination nesscessary. Our roads don't always have sidewalks and heck some are down right narrow, but at least they can see me from a long distance with that color.




5. Sport Beans or GU


Love, Love, Love my sport beans!! They are not messy. You can nibble on one at a time. Or a whole pack. They don't require much water to get 'em down either! Yum-o, too!


6. My I pod shuffle.

Lightweight, easy to use. I love my shuffle! And with songs to push me like Katy Perry's Firework, it really helps about mile 8 when my feet start whining.




7. Last but not least... my Fox Cities Tri Club running hat. I love it. Black, breathable, and light weight it sucks up all that sweat off my forehead quick! (sorry, no picture)


That's it. My must have's for my long runs. Next long run is 12 miles on Friday. It was supposed to be on Saturday but I have too much going on, so we well see how my body will like this... especially since my body developed a bit of reflux during last nights run... hmmm.

No comments: