Saturday, March 19, 2005

A girl Called Rachel.

Rachel was the name of a girl who came to Brock's Birthday Party. At first she was quite but then she opened up more. She was very proud of the gift she gave Brock. She told me, Duner and Brock "That on is from me!" She wanted to him to open it right away, but we waited to open them after the bowling.
We had to give her a ride home because her mom was going to the ER for a toothache. We didn't mind at all. The party was from 3-6pm but we ran out of time to open gifts at the end Brock did it really quick, then everyone went home. We sent all the kids home with a goodie bag of various toys, like a rubix cube key chain, silly bobing eye glasses, foam flyers, gag gum,candy and fortune cookies. She lived near Duners work in some apartments. She had some older siblings who were home.
After we put away everything we got homework completed, checked for any money needed for fieldtrips and various other things, then we went to bed.
When Brock woke up the next day he had a stomach ache. As a precaution I kept him home, since Zeb was sick 2 days earlier. He stayed on the couch most of the day and didn't move, but as he started to feel better he was checking out his gifts.
Rachel's gift was a Rocket the a shot up in the air almost 5 stories. When he opened the box we found only the rocket itself without the accessories that were supposed to be included. Instead there was a coloring book (well worn) all filled in, a couple of perfectly colored pictures from another coloring book, some chocolate covered cherries, and empty crayon/colored pencil boxes. After seeing what was in the box, I am glad that we did run out of time. She was so proud of what she had done, and kids would have maybe said something not very nice about it. I told Brock not to say anything bad about her gift, since that was probably all they could afford. I am glad she came. I think it helped Brock realize how lucky he is. I think she had fun.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I think it is nice that she gave what she could; no matter what. I think Brock is sensitive enough to not be mean about someone who doesn't has as much as he has. I would hope he would. It really makes you realize how much you have. I'm off today, Rachel! I'll miss you loads! Kiss the boys for me, and I'll try to keep my blog up to date.

Sara