Friday, November 23, 2007

The Hunt.

After a day of turkey and stuffing, it was time do some serious planning. I was able to have sometime off and wanted to make the most of the after thanksgiving day deals.

I had scoped out the 'ad's' online and in the paper. I had narrowed my plan to Toys R us, Dick's Sporting goods, Target and possibly Wal-mart.

It didn't take long for me to be asleep once I finally decided the plan of action. I was rather annoyed when I woke up at 2:40 am, unable to go to sleep. Yes. 2:40am.
I stayed in be until 3 am, then I got up and discovered that Zeb had woken up and was watching TV. I hopped on the computer, hoping that some deals would be available, so I wouldn't be have to go out in the cold.

Of course, nothing was 'Currently Available Online'. *sigh*...
Ok, time to get my butt to the store.
My theory was to sit in my car, when the line began moving walk up. I wanted to get a Zune MP3 player, Robo-reptile, some kind of Lego set and batteries.
I was craving a warm beverage, so I stopped at Starbucks Coffee. Yes at 3:30am. I got a Grande Mocha and headed to Toys R Us. Adrenaline setting in.

4AM I pull in the parking lot. Not bad. Not quiet half full, but it didn't open until 5am. My plan to sit in my car disappeared as I pulled in the parking lot. Temp outside is 20 degrees, I did not have my winter jacket, no mittens, or hat. Wasn't dressed in Layers. I really had planned to stay in my car.
I began seeing the MP3 player fly off the shelves. I grabbed my coffee and made my way to the line.

Since I was by myself, I wanted to pass time, so I began talking to the couple behind me. The were from a city an hour away. They didn't have a clue what they were going to be going in for they just picked Toys R us because they wanted to.

As my toes chilled more and more the crowd began to get restless, especially after they came out and gave away all the tickets for the Zune. Only 16 were in the store. They were gone. Okay, one of my big ticket items gone. A handful of people left the line, some flipping the bird to the crowd as they drove off. Jerks!
Some were beginning to complain others were 'in there space', or complaining about the people that joined the line on the way in the store. I was not feeling a warm and cozy holiday spirit there! Geez.
I grabbed a cart from outside and some yelled at me as I tried to get in the store with it, since they couldn't squeeze themselves in past my large cart. Excuuuuuuse Me!
I walked in, going over my list in my head. Robo, lego, batteries.
I found the robo-reptile right away. I turned to my right, and there was the lego display. What Karma! On to the checkout. No Lines and the batteries are right there! Woo Hoo!
As I walked out, the line of people was still entering the store. I heard a few people say "Oh, now those are gone." As I walked past with my Large Robo-Reptile.

On to the next store. Dick's Sporting goods. I wasn't there for the Heely's but when I got there at 5:07am (seriously), I had to wait for them to open at 5:30 pm. Bummer... I was hoping my standing in the cold was done.

Heely's are shoes with a roller at the heel so you can skate or walk at any given time. They were half price. They guy I met in line was getting some for his son, I was getting a golf club for Duner, but the Heely's would be a nice idea for Reece.

Thankfully they opened a bit early so I didn't have to stay out side too long. I found what I needed right away. I decided to grab some Heely's for Reece I knew that he would like them. I just grabbed the first pair of Grey Heely's. By the time I reached the check out I had to wait for 2 people. Still not bad.

I was leaving Dick's as the parking lot began to fill up. Sweet! I am just in an out of these places...
I drove to the other side of town, it was 5:45am as I pulled in the Target parking lot. I noticed not a lot of cars were parking on the side of the building, but a ton were in the front. I just went right for the side. I also noticed they TOO WERE NOT YET OPEN. Geez. I was waiting in my car this time. I don't care about the lines. I really wanted to use the bathroom, but I knew they were not going to let anyone in for 10 minutes.
At 6am I headed for the door. They were only letting people in through one door, in order to avoid a stampede. Smart move, I thought, about my experience at Toys R Us. They also had a guy standing at the door like a body guard. I think there was a fight 'cause one guy left before getting in, after some pushing near the front of the line.
I finally got in, even though I needed to use the bathroom, I figured I would go and quickly find the gift first. I was looking for the Star Wars II game Target had in the flyer. Zeb had wanted it. I wasn't able to find it but I wasn't upset. I just looked for the Ten dollar weather station they also had. I was pretty much just taking in all the chaos. I didn't find it, but I didn't want to look to hard. I had to use the bathroom, so I headed to the front of the store and left.
I had gotten most of what I wanted, and that was good.

I wanted to get some PS2 games at Walmart, but I just didn't want to go through ANOTHER store opening. I don't mind one but 3 stresses me out too much. I was happy to be done by 6:20am.

No comments: