Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Dog Run

So I went running with Amy on Sunday and she had a dog with and a retractable leash. It really worked well and so I thought "Hmm. I wonder if that will work with our dogs?" So I picked up a leash on Monday. Today I tried it out. With Lightning. Our GOOD dog.

Reasons why not to run with unruly dogs.

1. No. No. No..... run. run. No. No. run run. run. No. No NO!! That is the sound you will be hearing constantly.
2. Leash Burn. No matter how fast it retracts, it is never fast enough.
3. MP3 and leashes do not like each other.
4. Zig Zag pattern of walking. I actually found myself yelling "Pick a lane dog!"
5. You must perfect the run and spin maneuver first. Used at least 8 times.
6. Dog waste bags. I live in the country so at least I was able to pick it up and drop it off , next to a farmers field to come back and pick up later,but only after trying to tie it to the dog and step on it first. Eww.
7. Knee pain due to the sudden jerky movements of the dog.
8. Cows. Avoid Cows. Dogs like them but I don't think Cows like dogs. Very strange area.
9. No. run. No. Run. No! What are you doing?! (Dogs don't seem to understand)
10. Cars. You have to constantly be aware of the cars and dog ratio. very distracting = crappy pace.
11. Shoe laces mysteriously come undone?? What the ??
12. Did I mention leash burn? OUch!
13. Dogs can always stop FASTER than you! ???
14. A 40 minute run turns into a hour long run/ stop/ turn maneuver exercise. I can only imagine what the neighbors thought.

Reason to walk/run with unruly dogs on a retractable leash.

1. They help you , by pulling you the first mile or so.
but then that leads to #1 of reasons NOT to run with unruly dogs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Rachel,
this post made me laugh out loud! Not that your pain is funny but how you describe it is hilarious! this reminds me of the reason I have tried to train Loki to walk on one side of me only(not that he follows his training all of the time but I keep on trying.) Last year i thought the same thing as you but I have a grass track near my house so I took Loki over there and released the lead... Well I had not gone 50 yards when Loki thought I was playing and reversed gears and ran at me (not with me) I ended up flat on my face, having been tripped by my own dog(without a leash). I could hear laughter from the surrounding back yards. I have not tried this manuver since but am tempted to just to see if Loki has learned a lesson. However, I am not as young as I used to be and would rather not be the neighborhood comedy routine... not to mention I would like to avoid broken bones if at all possible.
My point is that Even dogs who are well lead trained(Loki still needs work!) must then be trained to be a running partner as dogs do not realize the problem with changing lanes without signalling, sudden stops, tying their person up, and O yeah causing a dog/person collision(they probably do not realize this is not funny even tho' the surrounding folk think it is hilarious). So I was thinking about taking the frisbee to the track, wearing the little monster down a bit first before trying again to try to avoid a similar fall. Well that is my take on dog runs... TTYL