Sunday, February 06, 2011

Ok. I have a confession.

Running and I are not getting along.

So about 10 days ago, I ran, or attempted 4 miles. On a treadmill. It like a few times prior was a struggle! I was finding it hard to even complete one mile.

*sigh* I sadly watched myself running that night. I seemed slow. Tired. Mentally drained. Ended that 'run' with 2 'power walk' miles in disgust.

I know you are supposed to lose more fat walking than running, so I opted for that as I mentally figured things out. Trying to get my mind right.

The next day, is when I had the personal trainer talk with me. What he said made sense. He suggested I was developing 'runners body'. Essentially, a heavier mid section, skinny legs. In Rachel's world I heard "Large butt , stick legs".
When we first moved here and I started working out again, I was 7 lbs lighter than I am now. Yah, Yah, I know , it's only 7 lbs.... You try running with a bag of flour on your thighs.... (which I believe is where it is sitting)

He told me I need to do more muscle building. I agree. It makes sense. Muscle burns more calories. I have been somewhat limited in my working out. I liked running 'cause it is the 'fastest way to burn calories. But I ended up gaining even thou I was running. So frustrating.

Before I had left Wisconsin I was taking Boot Camp, and Funky fusion, both muscle building classes at the Y. I loved 'em. Well, part of the membership at my new gym includes a Boot Camp with a REAL armed forces person. So it is REAL boot camp. Killer. I think this is just what I needed. Why?

1.His name is J.D. Six years ago he was 300 lbs. He is proof he knows what he is talking about.

2. He is way buff. He doesn't just tell us but shows us. He can do burpees with EASE!! It makes me sick.

3. After our first class he sat down with us and talked about importance of nutrition and WATER!
It was a great class. I came. I sweated. I had 12 miles on the calendar after that. I struggled with that. After 2.5 miles my bladder reminded me that I forgot to empty it before I left. By Mile 4 the bladder was ticked off. It was 30 degrees and I was cold. I had left my ipod at home, so it was all me having disscussions with God. I was ticked. I was getting sore. Crabby. Whiney. By mile 5, I decided to call 'er good and head home. My total miles was 6.5, it took me 1 hour and 30 minutes. Sad. Very Sad. As punishment for my anger at him, I believe God placed my power pooper on the 'throne' just so I was forced to climb to stairs to empty my angry bladder... then he probably had a pretty good laugh watching me sit, er, trying to sit down to use the bathroom.
Then seeing how I couldn't walk until Tuesday, my hubby is torn 'cause the Milwaukee Brewers play the Reds the weekend of my race and it is 3 hours away... I figured out I better put my FULL marathon on hold at this time. I have a half a month later, and now I have a time to build that all important muscle base, and get in the pool, and ditch those pounds for good!

P.S... I only did boot camp this Weekend and I can barely walk, again!!

1 comment:

anuja's said...

been through it!