Monday, August 20, 2007

And then they were GONE!

So I was outside, when it briefly wasn't raining this weekend, and I kept having to look at my watch to see what the date was. What a temperature change from last weekend. I swore that it was September already. It was over cast, rainy and chilly this weekend, all weekend.

On Sunday I figured I would fully take advantage of the crappy weather to kill some wasp's or hornet's that made a nice home by the dog's kennel. They said on TV the high temperature for Sunday was 61 degrees. I know how much they hate cold weather, so flying wouldn't be so easy for them. I bought a bonus package of wasp and hornet killer, that said it could spray up to 27 feet.

The kids wanted to help take care of them so I had them watch from behind the dog privacy fence. They had they perfect view of the action, but they kept trying to sneak a better one.

As soon as I sprayed they started dropping like rain. It was perfect for this. I kept spraying until I used up all the spray, just in case. You could see where they had baby wasp's or hornet's and I wasn't taking any chances, everything had to go.

We have a ladder but we left it up at the cabin. If I could have gotten on top of the roof I was going to us a shovel to get the nest down. Brock was insistent that I not wreck it, since he wanted to see if the queen was in the nest, but since I couldn't get on the roof, I had to use water to knock it down. I tried to spray just the top of the nest, but after a short time I had to shoot towards the middle of the nest to get it moving.

Parts and pieces began to fall down the siding. The more I shot, the more stuff fell down. Soon half of the nest fell down. The kids scampered over trying to see the nest. They were disappointed to see the condition of it. Nope. They don't hold up well to high pressure water. The kids decided it was no longer fun to watch, so they went on their way playing what they were before we started with the bee's.
I finished spraying down the rest of the nest and put it in with the dog waste. It had nicely sealed container and the contents were going into the trash for pick up the next day. All that was left was some black marks where the nest was hanging on.

Now that we know they were there, I am sure the kids will let us know when more appears again.

Ha! Take that you nasty beasts!

Yay!!!

No comments: