Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Friends and Homework

Brock met a new friend this weekend. His name is Josh. I work with his mom. I ran him over on Saturday, While my sister was here painting a really cool mural on the boys bedroom wall, (by the way, I will post a picture if I located my cord for my digital camera).
He doesn't have very many friends that he can just go to. Brock is a bit awkward. He is shy. He can sometimes say the wrong things. He has a learning disability that made the other kids at school label him werid. He has an excellent outlook though. He doesn't care if kids pick on him. He has this wonderful little block in his mind when it came to kids picking on him. When he wa 4-5 we had a neighbor boy,Ben that liked to play with him. His brother Joel didn't care for Brock. I heard the kids picking on him at times and Brock just laughed at them. Didn't really seem to phase him.
This weekend he really hit it off. Brock went over on Saturday and Sunday. He couldn't wait to go over there.
Our perfectinist child Reece came into the car after school yesterday and said "I hate my literacy team group."
Every 6 weeks they measure the kids reading levels and place the accordingly to the levels that they read at. He was peticularly not fond of the summaries he was asked to write after reading the book.
Last night he finished a book and was supposed to write a summary on the last chapter.
You would have thought they asked him to give away all of his toys. His teacher told him his summary was too long.

He sat and cried for 20-30 minutes. That was after I told him I would help him. I sat down with paper and he told me what he would write. After he was done I went through with him and crossed off everything he shouldn't put in it. The entire time he was looking at the clock every 2-3 minutes saying "Oh its only 7:56?, Oh it's only 8:03?, Oh, 8:04?".... and so on. We didn't even have the TV on for a distraction. Needless to say he finish just before bedtime and didn't cry the rest of the night.

No comments: