Saturday, August 16, 2008

Motivation

Summer is winding down... Fast.
Kids need to get back to school. The are getting LAZY.
Last night Reece wanted to go the a local Video store. "Oh, No" I said, " I don't think the way this house looks, it deserves a video store run tonight."
It would be one thing if they were too busy playing with friends or exploring the neighborhood, but they were inside all day. Doing 'nothing'.
I don't like 'boredom'. They have no reason to be bored. They have a bike. They have an awesome neighborhood. Creek nearby, loads of wildlife, 2 nearby parks, and legos... It was a BEAUTIFUL DAY on Friday. They could have been outside, but no they watch some kind of box all day. Computer or TV they did nothing but sit all day.
So...
I came home and announced "I am going for a run and you all are coming with me! Z (aka 5 yr old) will ride his bike next to me... Reece and Brock you go on your bikes the 7 mile route and head home."
"I don't want to ride my bike. Can I run the loop?" Reece asked.(aka the 1.2 mile loop known as our neighborhood)
"No." I said. Not wanting to run the loop with him.
"How about 2 loops?" He asked.
"Hmmm. OK." I said. "But I am running it with you."
"Darn." He said.

So Zeb, Reece and I head out on the loop, while Brock headed out on the 7 mile ride.
Zeb grabbed a water bottle and put on his helmet. We made it to the corner when Zeb started asking us to stop. He was having a hard time riding and holding the beverage. I grabbed it and started to run with it. Shortly after that Reece started whining about how hard it was and how he needed to WALK. This kid has 2 speeds. He is like his dad. Full force fast or walk. I tried to tell him it is still a run (ok, maybe jog) if you SLOW DOWN. You don't have to just walk.
I eventually let him walk but I had to run backwards to keep my eye on him, and it was just a break. I did the first loop with him and then we had to stop back at the house to let him have a drink, then we did the second loop.
This time Zeb didn't want Reece to have any of his water and somehow Z figured out how to ride with the water bottle in hand this time. I had to chuckle as he rode his bike away from Reece as he was running up to him to get a drink. I like to think of it as MOTIVATION.
It took me 30 minutes to run/walk 2.4 miles with him and 35 minutes to run 3.3 miles after that with out him.
It kinda feels good to know you can out run your kid, but I would LOVE FOR THAT TO CHANGE! Maybe I need to figure out his kind of Motivation.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Way to go!