Friday, June 17, 2011

Twas the Night Before Race Day...

'Twas the night before Race Day, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The swimsuit was hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that race morning soon would be here;

The children were nestled all snug in their friends beds, (at a sleep over)
While visions of sugar-soda danced in their heads;
And me in my 'kerchief, had crawled in my sack,
Had just settled down for a brief summer's nap,
When from my cell phone there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the sack to see what was the matter.

Away to the kitchen I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the flesh of the newly-purchased banana (ya' I know work with me here)
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a empty bike rack , and a shiny new gear,

With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment he could load it in a jiff.
More rapid than eagles he tossed it up like a flame,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called me by name;

"Now, Helmet! Now, swim cap! Now, Gu of all sorts!
On, Water bottle! On socks! On, goggles and shorts!
To the click of the belt! to the start of the car!
Now dash away! dash away! Don't dash away far!"

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
So up to the hill-top the coursers they flew,
With the cars full of toys, and Triathletes too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the hill
The prancing and pawing of each transition spot fill.
As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
Down the corral we all came with a bound.
We were dressed all in Speedo, from our head to our foot,
And our clothes were tarnished with algae and soot;


He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
filled the air with a Buzz; and then turned with a jerk,
After the last of the 'half Triathletes' went running,
up to the start line we waited, still numbing; (brrr!)
He sprang to his Buzzer, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere we dove out of sight,

"Happy Triathlon to all, and to all a good-fight."

No comments: