Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Spy Kids? Not MINE!

Our new neighbor building across the street came over a few weeks ago and asked us to keep an eye on their house. They had something sticky all over their livingroom floor. It was just on the wood but she didn't want anything worse happening.

Well, monday night I saw a guy walk over to there house. I just happened to be in Brock's room and noticed that the owner and builder's truck wasn't there. IN fact, No truck was there.
Strange, I thought.
Then, I thought maybe I better call the neighbor and ask if anyone was supposed to be there.
As the phone rang I began thinking about what message I would leave if she wasn't home. After a few rings she finally picked up.

As far as she knew the plumber was still there when she left, but he had a pickup truck. I looked up and down the street but no plumbers truck.

The guy first headed to the basement, then he came up and checked out the view in the back. I was giving her the play by play while the guy opened up a small fridge that they had for cold beverages. She said there was only water in it. He looked over to our house, I tried to back away from the window. She said "Good! Maybe he will go away." Duner was at work and I didn't have a car since our truck was getting the brakes worked on.

He then headed to the garage. I couldn't see what he was doing in there. After a minute or two he came out carrying two boards. He proped them on his shoulder and headed down the street. Keep in mind, this is 4:45pm in the daytime! He walked down to the new house that just had the concrete finished that day and put the boards down and went in the van.

He apperently worked for the concrete company that did the job at the site. We figured he needed the boards for somekind of finish work, but we didn't understand why he went into the fridge. I have seen too many episodes of the Discovery Channel's It takes a Thief.
I was begining to think about what happened one episode where a neighbor witnessed the crime taking place and they took the keys to the van. They then talked about how that was EXTREMEMLY dangerous. He could have gotten hurt or killed if it was the right thief. So I didn't want to be seen.
I was trying to read the phone numbers on the truck for the neighbor to call them but I couldn't read it. I asked the kids to see if they could see it with their eyes. No luck. They quickly ran outside to see if they could do better. Before I could even say NO they were out the door running to the other lot, the one with the dirt hill. Brock was more brazen and stood out in front of the house trying to read the numbers!
Thankfully the guy never came out from that side of the truck, I quickly yelled for the kids to get back in the house.
Brock reported back with the first 6 numbers on the phone number. I let him take his bike and ride to the corner and back to get the last 4 numbers. I kept thinking, this guy is going to come back and get revenge on us. I made sure we locked all the doors and windows. I hung up with the neighbor and she called the concrete company.

She called me back and told me that she was told that he was the finisher.

He had a been in jail for theft. He was relieved of his position at the company. I don't exactly feel good about that.

Great. Even more reason for him to come and take revenge.

I wish we had more neighbors, so he would know who it was.

Maybe he doesn't.
Maybe he didn't notice Brock Standing if front of the house staring at the truck.
Maybe he didn't hear me yelling for the boys to come in quickly.
Maybe. Right?

No comments: