Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Exercise Tourture Test

I thought it would be a good idea to get some exercise in today by going to a bike ride with Zeb. I have a mountain bike with a kids seat on it that he can still fit into. I had to go to Shopko to drop off my glasses for new lenses. The old ones were "Zebbed" as my mother likes to say. He got a hold of them before I woke up one day and tried his darnest to break them. He did a very good job of it. He came close. I had a chip on one lense and the other had a scratch; since it hasn't been a year that I had them yet I get new lenses for free. Yeah!
So anyway, I got out the bike from our storage area behind the garage. AKA 'Mice and Mole Mall'. I got out the air compressor and filled up the tires with air and dusted off the seat. After getting a lock and putting Zeb securely in with helmet and safety belts we were on our way.
Well I peddled down the block and one block up to a street light. It felt great. I had to stop for the light, so I waited. When it changed I proceded another 2 blocks or so to the next light. And waited again. While I was waited I had realized just how hard I was breathing. I really don't get to exercise like I should, I do realize but It really didn't seem that far. As I started out I realized just how many muscles I haven't used for a while in my butt. Holy COW! By now they were screaming to go back home and rest but I just kept thinking, Dr Al does 40 or 50 miles regularly! I doubt it was even 5 miles that I biked but the last strides on the way to the store were killers! It is up hill. When I got off the bike I almost fell over. (not really but it felt like I was). I started going to a Triathalon Club this last sunday hoping it would motivate me to get out more. It really does. It makes you think. These people run 5 miles in the time I can do 1. It is nothing to bike 70 miles. For me it is a year long commitment of 5 days a week steady training EASY! You might wonder why I decided to put my self through so much pain? Easy, for my kids. I want to take them on long rides with me, or be able to jog 5 miles with me. I don't want them have issues with themselves for extra weight or lack of energy. They have SO much energy right now. I want to keep it up. I walked in a 4 mile walk this weekend. To kids thats impressive. I want to be able to race them. I used to think "WOW, I did so much today. I need to rest for at least a week!" No more! Dr Al just ran 26 miles in the Boston Marathon! I bet he was back running 3 days later. I know he was a little stiff for a few days but he then goes in August to the Canada Ironman to run for 15, Swim 2 miles and Bike for 110 (Yes, one hundred and ten miles no mistype!). I think I can make 18 miles on a bike by July, at least I hope so. There is a Bike ride at Paperfest that I am hoping to do. I need those for motivation or else I will never survive the "training".

No comments: