Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bye Bye Tooth.

Well, Today was my dreaded dental appointment.

I was going to show up just a little bit late, after I dropped off my son at preschool, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized if I did that he may be in a hurry and start to work before I am even ready. In the end, I would pay for it. So, I stopped by my mom and asked her to run Zeb to school so I could get there on time.
Lucky me, I pulled in the parking lot right behind the dentist. We happened to get out of our cars and walked in the building together.
"Morning!" He said.
"Morning." I replied. I thought I am glad he didn't say 'Good Morning', since it obviously was not.
I didn't sleep really well last night. Partly due to anxiety and partly thanks to Zeb waking up at 4am to turn on the TV to watch the news. He said he likes to watch the news, to me. (??? He is 4)
Ok. I just turned it down and went to bed.
The receptionist gave me a pep talk about how it is no worse than getting a filling. She said the worst part is the impressions. I said I didn't mind those when I had my braces. That was the best part of those! She said it was going to be a breeze!
After 2 shots of novacane he fired up the drill. We noticed 2 morning doves watching us sitting on the window sill. Funny. That is the last place I would want to be if I had a choice.
So far no pain. Whew.
When he finished, still pain free, his assistant made a temporary tooth for me. The dentist made a joke about my gums getting in the way so he had to put on some green stuff to shrink them.
I left after 45 minutes. I guess I could have gone to the Y and workout, but I didn't bring my bag and wouldn't have time to run there and back. I just spent the free time shopping for shorts for Brock. He out grew the shorts from last year and will need some others.
I went with Zeb to Mc Donalds for Lunch and had the soup and a hamburger. I ordered fries but they were too crispy. I was still a bit numb and didn't want to hurt my temporary tooth.
Within a few hours, my novacane wore off and pain settled in.
2 Advil and 2 hours later it is more tolerable.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Wow. I'm impressed. I spent my last two crowns in tears at the Dentist office. I think that they are secretly relieved when I put off the pending ones until some indefinite other time. Your experience sounds downright delightful compared to mine. I might decide to go for full anesthesia next time.