Monday, March 10, 2008

Albuquerque: Day 1

I must first give some praise to Duner. For as much as I may jab him from time to time he really in the end is a very good guy. It really shines whenever we travel. I have a tendency to panic at times, I know it is a trait I get from my Mom. I am very picky when it comes to my kids at the airport. I feel like I am constantly checking to make sure I still have all 3. I really hate letting them go to the bathroom alone. Even through Brock is now officially 13, I just don't want to let go yet. Maybe more so in 3 years. (?Driving??? Double yikes)
For all my complaining, "Go get check on Reece" or "Stay with him", whenever we get settled into our rental card Mr Optimist, happy-go-lucky says to me "As long as you guide me I know we will get there, I just couldn't do this without you" or "You got us a pretty nice car Honey". Thanks Babe!
And now on with the post...
Bright and early our adventure began.

Actually not really. It took us until 11 am to leave but that was pretty good considering we weren’t really expecting to leave until noon. We had some extra time so we stopped by the Cabela’s Store on the way down. Duner and Reece had a buffalo burger they were cooking outdoors on a grill and I had a chicken sandwich. We had gotten some tokens from the front desk “dude” as Brock calls him and the kids were in a hurry to get to the shooting gallery. After about an hour we decided it was time to go.
Duner was surprised that I hadn't printed out instructions to get to the airport, but I figured we would just follow the signs. It worked! After driving around for 20 minutes we finally found a parking spot in the covered garage. As we headed to our check in counter we heard someone say "We forgot to set our clocks ahead one hour so our plane will be taking off in 15 minutes." That sucks!

We dropped our luggage off, I feel sorry for the luggage people. My bag was HEAVY!! Glad to get rid of that one. Then we headed to our gate. They had a nice small play area for the kids, with foam wedges and chairs.

Our plane to Minnesota was delayed, only 20 minutes. They said it was because our plane left from Newark late. That doesn't surprise me, I heard NY is the work place for being on time. Zeb was BEYOND EXCITED.... He could not stop wiggling his feet. We had to wait for them to de-ice our plan and he giggled with excitement while the spray was on his side. We ended up being slightly delayed on the runway, so Zeb kept asking "When are we going to go?". We had to wait for a truck on the runway that was inspecting it.
When the plane finally took off, Zeb giggled even more with delight as we climbed. He was so happy. Duner said "I don't remember the last time he was this happy." The first flight was only an hour and we were done in no time. When we flew in, we could see the bridge that collapsed. It was still half there, but the debris in the water looked cleared away.
We ate supper at Chili's in the Airport, and headed to our gate, on our way we saw a section of army guys that were going to Amsterdam.
Our next flight left on time. Brock went through a liter of water and that was for the take off!! We had them refill his water bottle for the way down, but he was sleeping so hard I couldn't wake him up. I figured if it didn't bother him I would leave him alone. Let him wake up on his own.
While we were getting our rental Car, a Chevy Equinox, we asked the woman helping us about "critters" such as scorpions. She said just avoid construction and you will be fine.
Just to be more safe we asked the clerk at our hotel about them and she said they have no problems with critters.
Right now the kids just got up and are enjoying the free hot breakfast and the free wireless internet included with this hotel. We don't know what activities we are going to do yet today, but the first is get to Wal-mart so we can fill our fridge with beverages, preferably healthy choices.... But if I know Brock he is going to play the 'It's my Birthday' game.

1 comment:

Sara said...

OOOH! It looks warm there!

It sounds like the plane ride down was pretty good!