Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Day 7: Swimming and Scenic Drive

We began on Sunday with a Swim at the hotel, while we did some laundry, the kids loved to get in there. Even Zebbie had been getting a bit more daring, he was using the hotel's noodles to venture out in the 5 ft section of the pool. That was good to see because even though he is currently in swim lessons, he was afraid of the water.




When we got the Bandelier National Monument again we set out to Alcove house. It is over your head in a mountain more than 140 feet up.
As you progress you see signs warning you if you are afraid of heights or bad cardiac history, you should not attempt this climb.

We didn't think too much of it.



Ok, so we climbed the first ladder.
"This wasn't so bad... only 2 more" I thought.


Then this tiny trail was our next obstacle, still not too bad... because you were pinned between two boulders.
But any short, chubby person probably would have to be creative about how they are going to get further than this.
Still 2 more ladders to go. Notice the nice railing? I love railings. Oh yeah, did I mention the winds were nasty that day? Gusting up to 55 mph.
Yep, REALLY, loved those railings!!

I was secretly hoping Zeb would panic and I would have to stay with him, but he never did!
We made it up to the 3rd ladder, where there is NO RAILING!!! YOU HAVE A 10 FOOT LEDGE, BUT NO RAILING!!!
At that time the wind decided to pick up and I had to stop and wait, because sand and tiny rocks were flying around and drying out my contacts quickly. I really needed my eyes up there. Unfortunately I have not pictures of what was up there, I was too panicked waiting for Zeb or of the other kids to trip and fall off the cliff. It was a big area, but it was slopped. I was glad to get down.
It was on to the next part of the park. We wanted to see the Upper and lower falls.

We were on a path that was 2.5 miles one way, Zeb and the boys were doing great. Along the path are numbered markers, they tell about various points of interest int he park. At mark 12 the book says "As you turn the corner just past this marker , the path becomes narrower. Keep your children Close."
It then goes on to say, "You will notice the wind change as well as air temperature". That, we found out, is because the wind picks up and just about drags you off the face of the mountain down 300 feet into the stream below.
Again, I do not have pictures of this path since I was too busy keeping a tight grip on Zeb. Trust me it was steep and windy. We have the wind burn to prove it.

Any pictures I did get it is because Reece had the camera and took them. Thanks Reece!!

After this adventure we took the 'Scenic Drive' back to Albuquerque. It is 30 minute longer but really neat. It is highly recommended by the locals and I can see why.. Yes that is snow on the first one!
.

No comments: