Thursday, March 24, 2011

Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks Up!

Why do we spend so much time worried? Why look back if we can't change anything?
I love these verses.

Hebrews 12:1-3
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of
witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so
easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us
, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the
joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at
the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such
opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

It is SO great in theory. Seems like life should be 'easy' when we have been saved. We are forgiven.

So, why do we have those dang bumps in the road?

I am learning much this past year. I have made some insecurities rule my life in so many ways. In some ways, I have a hard time giving up those stinkin' thinkin's.

The radio station I listen to here is called KLOVE. I love it. The tag line is 'positive, encouraging Klove'. Just what I need. At the begining of the year they asked us to pray and ask God to give us a word to sit on our hearts all year. My word is ENDURE. I had a feeling it was going to be rough year with that word, but I think I figured it would be about endurance sports not emotional baggage.

Recently, I was slapped in the face with a harsh reality that I SERIOUSLY thought was long since gone. Yet, in some ways it was a comforting, gentle reality.

I am a clinger. I hold on to things. Sometimes WAY to long. Not really bad things. Like the letters from school friends, old gifts from past love/friends, the first clothes each of my babies wore home from the hospital, and now all of my endurance events bibs.

Good ol' memories, that in some ways if I lose them, I will lose those memories. Especially now that my Dad has beginings of dementia, I find it especally hard to let go of those. What if I forget those things? Then again, how much do I really need to remember them? How will that help me move forward in life. Other than weight for lifting. Do I ever dig them out and look at them? (No!) I have moved a box of 'memories' with me now for years.

Maybe this is the excess weigh that I need to lose.

If I can release that which so easily entangles me, and run the rest of my 'race' with perseverence,

looking up.

{gulp}

After all, Jeremiah 29:11 says:
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


No comments: