Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Going The Distance



It is hard to describe the feeling you get when you complete an endurance race. Even if you are slow like me. Especially when you have friends in the sport.


Something inside just clicks.


Kinda feels like 'Hey, I CAN do that!'...



It creates a spark to go the next distance. The past two weeks all I could think about what how scared I was since the last half marathon I did I finished with a painful side ache and didn't want that to happen again, or how the arches of my feet ached something awful the last few 'long runs' that I did. Worried about a possible injury.



I kept thinking about how glad I would be when the race would be over so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore. And it was painless, aside from the blister on my left foot and hip ache (probably from over compensating from my blister).

Now? I am excitedly searching for MORE races to sign up for. [gulp]


But I haven't been in a swimming pool much in over a year. I did it once. I get bored. I like company. It's kinda hard to talk and breathe while swimming.



Plus the whole 'get over yourself' in a speedo thing.




I miss my road bike. Roads here are going to be a challenge, the are narrow. And hilly. Hills are good for speed work. I just have to keep that in mind. I am in search of a bike group that has weekly rides to train with. (that doesn't drop riders, as I am a slow biker too, 15 mph is slow.)



My next race is June 18th. High Cliff Sprint, in Wisconsin. A 1/4 mile swim, 22 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run on trails (mainly). The swim is chilly, with tiny green floaters that find there way into all kinds of places in your swimsuit. The bike has some rolling hills but after the first one, there are pretty minor hills. It is a beautiful run, after you go up the half mile 'incline', with trees and smells and stuff.


I am hoping to do another Triathlon in July, the a mudathon in August, Duathlon in September, and who knows, maybe another half in October!

Look out NKY, crazy triathlon girl is gearing up again!!

1 comment:

Sara said...

That's too bad about not being able to bike train; I haven't done much either. I miss being able to hop on the bike and go for a long trek.

Good luck in your training; and remember...the high cliff tri swim can be half-walk/half-swim!