Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rachel vs. The Spider

I set out last week to work. I had planned to not make my Starbucks stop, since I had coffee and breakfast at home. I still didn't hit Starbucks, but thanks to a freaky looking spider that decided to ride shotgun, specifically on my driver side door, then wander on the the dash while I am driving down the busy morning highway... I was FORCED to make a stop in the parking lot of my favorite Starbucks.

This is no ordinary spider. It is a JUMPING spider. I know it can do that since it jumped from the windshield to the dash with direct intent. Not 'falling' but JUMPING.



Now, I don't know if he was 'scanning' me as prey, lol... but once I pulled over and stopped he rested on the dash, while I stood outside of my car and debated how to handle this situation. He moved quick. I am a SLOW twitch person. I am not quick. He was little, and able to fit anywhere. So, I waited and watched. And thought. And thought. And thought. He must have sensed my quandry and decided the drivers side air vent made a lovely home. I waited about 20 minutes. He didn't move. People just drove past. I was hoping someone would come save me. No one did. *sigh*



So, I closed the door and wandered to the first victim, um, I mean person I could. It was a young man in his twentys, getting ready to head into work at Moe's Southwestern Grill. I asked him if they had any spray in his work that would kill spiders.






I had just heard a joke on XM radio about how the comedian sprayed a spider with cologne (it didn't work), then deodarant (it too, didn't work), so then he used AQUA NET. His joke ended with "I didn't kill him, I just got him ready for prom!" I was wishing I had anything to try at that point.



The Young Knight, didn't think they had anything but he said he wasn't afraid of spiders so he offered to 'kill' it for me. After putting down his cigarette, he attempted to get the spider. Fail.



Of course that bugger went deep into hiding... in my dashboard. grrrr. I am about 25 minutes late at this point.



He helped me by trying to tell me the closest place I could find the bug stuff at. Walmart. The next exit up. I thanked the kind sir and cautiously got on my way.



I get in the car, watching for that thing. The spider came up as I started the engine. OF COURSE! I drove to Walmart praying, and holding my right hand side of the wheel...only. The Walmart, of course, was on the side of the road that required 3 stop lights to get to. Thankfully, he stayed put.

I quickly grabbed Eliminator -Ant, Roach and Spider Killer and went out to my car. I had left my window down all the way hoping he would find a new home, outdoors. When I came back to my car he was no where to be found. I still sprayed the vent. I was so intently looking for him, I didn't noticed the guy getting into his car infront of me until he laughed and said "Spider?"



Yeah, I replied.



He then kindly went on to say "What color was it? Brown or black" I went on to describe the bright orange back end and he shrugged his shoulders and said "Well, if it bites you, don't go to your primary physician make sure you go to a dermatologist instead".


Um, ok... (??) And got in to his car. Lovely.



I swear I put on deodorant that day, but by the time I got to work, I was SO READY to take a shower. I quickly sprayed the vent some more and left the car.


I haven't seen him since but now, I am ready. I have a can a my work and in my house. Now I am even ready for those roaches in my office!


Oh, yeah...

No comments: